- KSD NEWS!
- ABOUT US
- OUR FACULTY
- OUR CLASSES & SCHEDULE
- INFORMATION FOR DANCERS
- GALLERY (studio/stage)
- FOR EDUCATORS
Artistic Director at Kingston School of Dance
Kingston School of Dance (KSD), located at the Tett Centre for Creativity and Learning in Kingston, Ontario, is seeking an artistic director for the 2018-19 season and beyond. The artistic director is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its vision, mission, and strategic plan. We are proud to be Kingston’s only not-for-profit dance school. We strive to cultivate a nurturing environment where students discover their unique and innate ability to dance. Students are welcome regardless of age, ethnicity, gender or ability, including those with special needs.
Be the face of the Kingston School of Dance. Act as director, teacher, mentor, and implement the policies of the Kingston School of Dance for the purpose of providing high quality dance instruction. Ensure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and evaluate and report on the progress.
Report to and work closely with the board of directors to ensure smooth daily operation of the school. This includes attending board meetings, making hiring recommendations, conducting official correspondence, and bringing forward feedback from staff, parents or students.
Ensure a positive and supportive working environment while fostering a sense of community within the school. Be a trusted leader where all staff can contribute their talents for the benefit of the dancers and activities of the school. Perform regular performance appraisals and implement reliable human resource practices.
Develop appropriate dance projects in collaboration with other creative partners or local authorities through community liaison. This includes working within a community arts hub with outreach activities and managing and directing the annual performance held at the end of every dance season. Pursue fundraising initiatives through researching grant opportunities and grant writing.
Have strong office management skills including working with the office administrator to maintain finances and official records and documents to comply with federal, provincial and municipal regulations. Manage the studio and school assets and be responsible for all equipment used or owned by the school, including costumes.
Education: Associated with a dance affiliate or a graduate of an accredited post-secondary institution with a major in dance and dance education.
Experience: 5 years dance teaching experience preferred. 5 years experience directing a not-for-profit organization preferred.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conducting a dance class (through audition) of required discipline.
- Demonstrated use of various teaching techniques and approaches for a variety of students.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant syllabus and course outlines.
- Demonstrated ability to provide feedback and correction to students in an age-appropriate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to plan classes for student progression.
- Ability to listen, interpret and respond in a timely fashion to emergencies using proper procedures.
- Excellent customer service skills, both in person and over the phone.
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis and start classes punctually.
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check.
- Experience with Dance Studio Pro an asset.
- First Aid and CPR Certificate an asset.
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We will begin reviewing applications immediately and will start interviews in mid-July, 2018.